Virtualization Engineer/ Subject Matter Expert
Smarthost Design Technologies (SHD Technologies) is an SBA 8(a)-certified small business and a leader in providing fast, reliable, highly responsive, onsite, client focus and cost-effective technology solution to commercial, and government customers; helping them solve their daily technology challenges. We provide Services oriented Project Management, Help Desk Support, Manage IT Services, Network Administration and Design, Cyber Security Solutions, Big Data Analytics, Database Administration, Backup & Disaster Recover Solutions and Cloud Computing solution. As fast-growing IT leader in the industry, this opportunity is here for you to grow, and be part of the best in class, where there are no limits but room to grow with us as a company. We invite to join us on the quest to be the best IT Solution provider in our Industry.
This Job Description
Assists the Lead Engineer working directly with senior PA-CAF/DoD/PACOM staff and project managers by compiling data, providing additional support and experience for implementation/coordination/and installation of all virtual components across PACAF. Engineer will be ex-perienced in working with DoD/AF personnel in architecting and deploying large, virtualized solutions. The Engineer will:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Subtask 1: Assist in managing a Virtualized Multi-Tenant Data Center and various secure hybrid Cloud Computing solutions, virtualized storage, networks, and desktops in the Pacific Theater or other theater-wide DoD deployments to include server-accelerating RAM-based VDI data storage, with server RAM as the primary storage tier, virtualized server acceleration and SecureView.
- Subtask 2: Provide assistance in determining technical requirements to support AF/DoD mission-sets, plan-ning and coordinating virtualization configurations with enterprise technicians to include storage, memory, compute, and network infrastructure configurations with the local base. Plan and coordinate servers chosen for physical to virtual at the base with base enterprise -technicians and primary staff personnel.
- Subtask 3: Provide assistance in engineering and deploying technologies in coordination with and techni-cally in line with the Air Force (AF) current enterprise Microsoft-centric environment and the Air Force Base Area Network Functional Specification which is a part of the continuing evolution of the common-user data network into a fully unified, Air Force-centric enterprise. In depth understanding of unclassified common-user internet protocol network that plays a key role in enabling the convergence of other stovepipe networks into a single, common IP environment.
Subtask 4: Provide assistance in engineering and deploying technologies in coordination and technically in line with the AF Reference Architecture Designs. This includes Network Normalization, Mobility, and data center architectures which include a virtualization baseline from data center to desktop/mobile device.
- Subtask 5: Maintain virtual capabilities, to include the storage, network, server (applications and databases) aspects and the software required to centrally manage this architecture. Software may include VMWare vSphere, Citrix Xen, and Microsoft Hyper-V platforms and extends to desktop management and deploy-ment of the VDI otherwise referred to Thin, Zero, Multi-Level, or Trusted Thin Clients.
- Subtask 6: Develop test and training plans for Airmen to manage the complex backend virtual environment to include Cisco’s Unified Computing Systems (UCS), EMC VNX storage area network, VMware vCenter, and VMware Horizon View.
- Subtask 7: Review and provide sizing, engineering, and managing strategies for storage area networks (SAN) to include EMC, with the broad understanding of other SAN leaders to include NetApp and Dell Compellent. Engineer should possess the broad understanding of Hyper-Converged solutions such as Nu-tanix and EVO. Engineer should possess a broad understanding of pure flash storage VDI-specific solu-tions such as Tintri and Nimble Storage.
- Subtask 8: Provision virtual servers to support Unified Computing (i.e. virtual call managers) and Share-Point deployments to include the conversion from Physical-to-Virtual (P-to-V) on a virtualized data center platform.
- Subtask 9: Deploy networks, servers, and storage on SIPRNet to include configuration of said equipment to Air Force specifications in conjunction with Virtualization Lead Engineer. Experience should include lead-ing a team in the seamless connection to a Virtual Desktop Environment.
- Subtask 10: Develop test and training for Airmen to provision, Zero/Thin/Multi-level/Trusted Thin Clients to include knowledge transfer of experience in deploying this capability on existing infrastructure (category 5e cable and fiber).
- Subtask 11: Assist with the technical development and implementation of a VDI Operational Test/Checklist and VDI System Test Plan, to include System Stability Test, Zero Client Power Test, Functionality of Email, SharePoint, Task Management Tool, and Server Power Test.
- Subtask 12: Assist in the deployment of virtual capabilities in large areas and land masses that are discon-nected and separated.
- Subtask 13: Provide Customer support and troubleshooting for Virtual Servers and VDI client hardware and software and coordinating with Government Network Control Centers and Higher Headquarters.
- Subtask 14: Plan and coordinate virtualization configurations with enterprise technicians and network infra-structure configurations with the local base. Plan and coordinate servers chosen for physical to virtual at the base with base enterprise technicians and A3/6 personnel.
- Subtask 15: Perform management of Teradici PC over Internet Protocol (PCoIP) technologies. The PCoIP compresses, encrypts and rapidly transports image pixels to PCoIP end-user devices. They in turn decrypt, decompress and display the image on a screen. Includes adding new devices, updating firmware, adding policies.
- Subtask 16: Perform daily VDI Health Checks which includes the systematic and daily monitoring of the backend infrastructure and desktop performance. This includes demonstrated proficiency with Stratusphere or like technologies. Stratusphere provides the visibility required to more effectively manage desktop per-formance and the user experience. Stratusphere provides the visibility necessary for machine boot and login process troubleshooting and optimization, health checks, platform validation, and more streamlined man-agement functionality of the host environment.
- Subtask 17: Provide guidance for installation, configuration, and management of Atlantis iLio or like tech-nologies. iLio allows a datacenter to use Server read-access-memory (RAM) as primary storage as op-posed to traditional storage solutions. This increases Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPS) while in-creasing the number of desktops supported by up to ten times while, at the same time, improving perfor-mance.
- Subtask 18: Assist with VMWare vRealize installations, configuration, and management. vRealize provides complete visibility in one place, across applications, storage and network devices, with an open and exten-sible platform supported by third-party management packs.
- Subtask 19: Perform first line trouble-shooting activities (if required) for installed environments in conjunc-tion with remote enterprise technicians and local base technicians.
- Subtask 20: Create baseline Gold Images
- Subtask 21: Create Network and/or Admin Gold images as necessary.
- Subtask 22: Perform operational testing and develop procedures using a test / laboratory environment made up of on-hand servers, network devices and client machines as necessary.
Software & Hardware
Required Certification and Experience
- Clearance - Secret
- Possess experience with virtual capabilities, to include the software required to centrally manage this architecture. Software may include VMWare vSphere, Citrix Xen, and Microsoft Hyper-V platforms and extends to desktop management and deployment of the VDI otherwise referred to Thin, Zero, Multi-Level, or Trusted Thin Clients
- Possess formal VMWare View Training and extensive experience. View delivers virtual or hosted desk-tops and applications through a single platform.
- Possess formal VMWare vSphere Training and extensive experience configuring and deploying vSphere in a DoD environment. vSphere reduces the complexity of back-end storage systems and enables the most efficient storage utilization in cloud infrastructures.
- Required Certifications must include Security + or higher
Operation Hours at Customer site
- Regular local hours
- periodically work flexible hours to facility interaction with DoD engineers from Europe, West PAC, and Eastern U.S. specifically during project migrations or installs.
Place Of Performance:
- Main Operational Location:
- Hickam AFB, Hawaii
- Misawa AB, Japan
- Yokota, AFB, Japan
- Kadena AB, Okinawa
- Kunsan AB, Korea
- Osan AB, Korea
- Andersen AFB, Guam
- Eielson AB, Alaska
- Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean
Please submit your resume with a cover letter stating your income requirement.
Head hunter/staffing agency No phone call please