Smarthost Design Technologies (SDT) is an Information Technology solution provider with focus on solving complex problems in areas of Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Application Support, System Integration and Help Desk Support Services Delivery. We have provided best in class solutions to commercial, federal and state agencies since 2006.
SDT is seeking a Data center cabling installers and support engineers to work twice a week for in the evening to support government customer. Work location is Bowie Maryland.
Data center cabling engineers will support all data center cabling installation, termination of various types of network cabling installation including fibers. Work will be performed to customer specific code and standard twice a week within the evening hours of 5pm- 9:30 pm. work includes complex data center hardware and information system.
Duties and Responsibilities
An understanding of the following:
- Main Communications Rooms (MCRs)
- Cable Plant System
- Cable Plant Components and Specifications
- Installation of the following cable types unless otherwise specified:
- Unshielded twisted pair
- Single-mode Fiber Optic
- Multi-mode Fiber Optic
- Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) Cable
- UTP Patch Cables
- Draft Cable Labels
- Final Cable Labels
- Installation Testing
- Cable Plant Management System
- Experience with cable plat management system will be a plus
- Experience with the use the best commercial practices for the tasking for installing all phases of this installation in accordance with all applicable standards from Electronics Industry Association (EIA)/Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) 568B, 569, 606, TSB Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 67 (Testing UTP), TSB 72 (Fiber cabling guidelines), and TSB 75 (Horizontal Cabling in open offices); National Electric Codes; and Fire Codes.
- Datacenter installation will include office after 5:00pm - 9:30 pm.
- Expected to arrive for work at 5:00 pm to conduct the walkthrough with the Computer Services Division (CSvD) based on schedule
- Participates in ongoing training and attainment of certifications required to maintain this work load and customer requirement
- Develops and maintains relationships with customers that further develop our company’s positive reputation through exceptional customer service.
- Maintains relationships with vendor contacts that are beneficial to the company.
Skills and Qualifications
- Develop personal skills to efficiently and effectively work individually and as a member of the Technical Services team
- Participate in company-sponsored job-related activities and training to further develop your technical skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Technology, related field of study (preferred but not required), or equivalent work experience
- Risk Management Framework (RMF): 2 years (Required)
- Information Security: 3 years (Preferred)
- Wiring and Cabling Skills Required
- Network Cable Termination
- Fiber and
- Other network wiring
- Cable Running/Drop and Installation
- Fiber and
- Installation trouble shooting
- Experience with cisco networking technologies
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- low voltage cabling certification
- Fiber cable certification
- Other certification if application
- Other Skills & Abilities
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Must be prepared to travel as required
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience working in a government environment as a contractor engineer
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Business Ethics - Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, and upholds organizational values.
- Communications - Expresses thoughts clearly in written form, articulates verbal thoughts understandably, demonstrates active listening skills, comprehends information heard, uses appropriate communication methods, and keeps others informed.
- Conflict Resolution - Maintains calm under pressure, encourages respectful dialogue, confronts difficult situations without bias, acts within realistic timeframe for resolution, and resolves conflicts through fair negotiation.
- Consistency - Follows through as promised, confirms people know each other's expectations, arrives to and completes meetings on time, meets with direct reports in-person regularly, and changes decisions rarely.
- Cost Consciousness - Saves money without lowering quality of service, performs within approved budget, conserves company and customer resources, develops profitable new revenue streams, and identifies new ways to lower costs.
- Managing Multiple Priorities - Manages multiple commitments and/or projects, plans and utilizes time efficiently, responds to changing customer needs, resolves conflicts to deliver on schedule, and completes work in order of customer priorities.
- Network Management - Demonstrates understanding of network architecture, responds promptly to user needs, monitors network performance, identifies and resolves network problems, and anticipates and defines future needs.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, resolves problems in early stages, and works well in group problem-solving situations.
- Teamwork - Contributes to a positive team effort, balances team and individual responsibilities, listens attentively and openly to others' views, gives and sincerely accepts feedback, helps the team stay focused on key objectives, resolves team conflict before it escalates, and places the team's success above own interests.
- Troubleshooting - Anticipates problems; demonstrates critical thinking skills; Communicates with customers as promised; uses diagnostic tools efficiently and effectively; identifies, tests and implements logical solutions; and follows company troubleshooting procedures.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance